We went to Forever 21 for their $7.90 skinny jeans that are always that price, but she ended up getting 3 pairs of jeans from the clearance rack for $5 each instead! 2 denim and 1 navy blue corduroy. Then we went to the thrift store and got some colored jeans for $5 each. That was it! Only 2 stores and we were done! I couldn't believe my luck. The great thing about thrift store shopping is that you have a big selection of different brands all in 1 store.
The only problem with ALL of the jeans is that they were very long on my short daughter. I have always been short, so this is a problem I worked out a long time ago.
How to hem jeans and keep the original hem:
1. Try on the jeans and pin them where you want them.
2. Measure. We needed 4" off these ones! Yikes!
3. Divide measurement in half and fold the jeans up to the halfway mark. That would be 2" for these jeans.
4. Sew as close to the original hem as you can.
5. Cut the extra off and do a zigzag stitch (try them on before cutting).
6. Fold in
7. Sew along the ditch of your new hem (This isn't necessary, but I think it holds the hem more flat).
8. Iron the hem flat
2 of the jeans had ripped belt loops, but I have a very easy fix for that and will link it here soon.