A quick and easy project that will make a huge difference!
To get this custom look:
2 Ikea Ekby Tryggve softwood shelves for $3.99 each.
2 Ikea Ekby Mans brackets (2 per package) for $7.50 each.
Total price: $22.98
In addition you will need:
Clear protective finish
I used what I already had leftover from various jobs, so I didn't include them in the cost.
1. Cut wood shelves to fit.
2. Pre-stain (optional). I like to use pre-stain on all my staining projects because it makes the stain more consistent. Follow manufacturers directions for drying time, mine was only a few minutes.
3. Stain and follow manufactures directions for drying time.
4. Stain again if you want it darker. Follow manufacturers directions for drying time.
5. Turn over and repeat steps 3 & 4.
6. Apply a clear protective finish. Follow manufacturers directions for drying time.
7. Apply a second coat of protective finish and then a third if desired (I only did 2 on the top and 1 on the underside).
8. Turn over and repeat step 7.
9. Install brackets and screw the shelves onto them.
I spent about 1 hour in labor on this project, but it took a full day for drying and turning over the shelves.
Here is the pre-stain and stain that I used.