I recently attended a web conference sponsored by Walgreens with Dr. Gwenn O' Keefe.
Dr. O'Keefe spoke to moms about what we should be doing this flu season to keep our families healthy.
I thought I would help spread the word and summarize some of the important points:
This flu season we have the seasonal flu that we have every winter and we also have the HINI (swine flu)
Here is what we should do as moms to be ready:
1. Have prepared meals in the freezer
2. Keep a schedule of family members' activities with days, times, and places handy.
3. Have doctors numbers on the fridge.
4. Know who your "go to" person will be if you are sick
5. Have a friend or neighbor on-call for erand running or kid-chauffuring.
What to do if you (or someone in your family) have flu-like sympotms:
1. Stay home, drink fluids, rest, take fever reducers
2. If symptoms get serious- difficulty breathing, inability to eat, etc. Go to your doctor or the ER.
Flu Vaccine and HINI Vaccine:
Walgreens has its own network of certified immunizers in-store
Walgreens take care clinics can vaccinate anyone over age 2
The HINI vaccine contains thimerosal. Thimerosal is a preservative containing ethyl mercury. The HINI vaccine in multi-dose vials will contain about 25 micrograms of ethyl mercury per dose.
Studies show that infants can safely receive 8 times as much mercury as is contained in 1 dose of HINI.
(Getting vaccinated is a personal decision and I choose not to vaccinate myself or my children as long as mercury is in the vaccine. I would like to see safer vaccines for our children, despite what "studies" say. Please GREEN our vaccines! This is my opinion, not Dr. Gwenn O' Keefe's who very much supports getting vaccinated.)
Other Ways to Keep Your Family Well
1. Wash hands often with soap or antibacterial gel.
2. Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
3. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, nose.
4. Avoid contact with sick people
5. If sick, stay home to get well and to avoid spreading germs
I am interested in what you all think of the vaccine and what you are doing. I am personally not getting vaccinated, but I am not opposed to others getting the vaccine. My brother is very pro-vaccine and has had his family vaccinated already. I will have a survey up at the top of my side bar this week.